fbpx

What is ECO+?

The existing ECO scheme (known as ECO4) is targeted at those who need support the most – including people living in social housing, those on a low income or who are fuel-poor.

With significant increases in fuel bills, the government intends to use ECO+ to help reach a wider customer base, targeting those who are not currently eligible for the existing ECO4 scheme. ECO Plus will be aimed at households who are able to pay and the government has proposed it will meet 75% of the installation costs, with homeowners covering the remaining 25%.

The majority of the funding, around 80%, will be made available to households who live in the least energy-efficient homes in the country – homes with an EPC rating of D or below.

ECO+ is now live as The Great British Insulation Scheme

What types of energy-efficient improvements will ECO+ cover?

To ensure the benefits of the ECO+ scheme (Great British Insulation Scheme) reach as many households as possible, measures will prioritise low-cost installation measures such as loft insulation and cavity wall insulation, the benefits of which will reduce heat loss and reliance on energy-intensive heating technology.

Lowest-income households will also benefit from improved heating controls as a secondary measure to increase energy efficiency.

Insulation measures available to low-income groups are as follows:

Solid wall insulation (internal/external)

Roof insulation

Under-floor insulation

Solid floor insulation

Room-in-roof insulation

Who pays for the ECO+ scheme?

ECO+ funding will be an Energy Company Obligation. Energy suppliers across the UK will be incentivised to award grants to UK households under the ECO+ scheme. 

The scheme will offer grants to households who have had no other form of UK government funding towards energy efficient measures.

Can I get ECO Plus scheme funding?

The ECO Plus scheme (Great British Insulation Scheme) is focused on the least energy-efficient homes in the country, in order to raise the overall standard of efficiency as we move towards energy independence in the UK.

Targeting those who are currently NOT eligible for existing funding schemes such as ECO4 or The Home Upgrade Grant.

Eligibility criteria:

    Homes with an EPC rating of D or below

    Homes with lower Council Tax Bands – A to D in England

    Homes with lower Council Tax Bands – A to C in Wales

    Homes with lower Council Tax Bands – A to E in Scotland.


    Check your ECO+ scheme eligibility today

    FAQs
    Am I eligible for ECO+ funding if I live in a rural area?

    If you live in an off-gas rural property then the most suitable funding scheme for you may be The Home Upgrade Grant which has been designed specifically for off-gas, rural homes with low energy performance ratings.

    Our friendly advisors can guide you on the most appropriate and maximum funding scheme for you.

    How much money could I save with ECO+?

    While cavity wall insulation and loft insulation are among the cheapest energy efficient measures, they are in fact two of the most effective measures in reducing energy bills. 

    Under ECO+ measures, you could save around £310 a year on your energy bills.

    Based on England, Scotland and Wales costings, loft insulation in a semi-detached house can save home owners £355 a year.

    Cavity wall insulation in a typical semi-detached house can create savings of £395 a year.

    How long does it take to get an ECO+ grant?

    The UK government is implementing ECO+ in order to improve energy efficient measures in lower income households and get more people living in energy efficient homes as quickly as possible.

    While detailed instructions on how to apply are still under review, we expect to see a straightforward application process via your energy suppliers in the coming weeks, all of which we will explain in full on the Residential Energy Services website.

    For details on how to apply for ECO+ scheme support via your energy supplier, follow Residential Energy Services for the latest updates and announcements.

    Still have questions?

    If you cant find the answers you’re looking for here, please contact us.